June 6, 2013

Spiked Iced Coffee


Let me put it this way: I'm thoroughly obsessed.
With iced coffee, that is.
There is just something about iced coffee that, at times, can have such a restorative effect. I don't know how exactly it works, but it does.
Maybe it's not that great for you, but at the time, I was willing to risk it.
It all started on one of our frickin'-hot Southern California days, one of those days
where just breathing is labor-intensive. Sitting in the drive-thru, pumping gas - it all seemed unbearable and everyone seemed miserable. There's a certain concentrated slowness to everyday functions at that point.
Hills covered in straw-colored, long-dead grasses hissed as the hot, dusty breeze rankled.  
Then,
 beckoning from not far off, a bake shop. Seems unlikely, given the heat.  But.  But.
It was not a baked treat we were after. No, it was something icy-cold to drink.
Mango Lassi and Iced Coffee were downed with immense refreshment, a feeling of calm coming over me as a sweet coolness prevailed.  I have not been able to stop thinking of that Mango Lassi... soon as I find a recipe, I am SO making one.  But I did get the iced coffee down. (It wasn't originally spiked, but that never hurts. I needed a hazelnut boost, and Frangelico delivered.  But by all means, use a hazelnut syrup for a non-spiked version.) Here's the recipe:


Brew up a batch of extra-strong coffee, using equal parts French Roast and Hazelnut. 
Once brewed, stir in 1 to 2 Tablespoons, to taste, of brown or maple sugar into every cupful of coffee, and a tablespoon of hazelnut liquer or syrup if desired. 
Let cool 15 minutes or so.  Stir in a handful of ice cubes, stirring until fully dissolved. The coffee should be well-chilled at this point.  Pour this mixture over a glass of ice. Serve, kick back, and enjoy. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment